Student veterans at the Mesa College Veterans Resource Center. The Mesa College Veterans Resource Center will host an open house and barbeque on November 8.
The San Diego Community College District will honor former members of the nation’s armed forces during a series of Veterans Day-related events at San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar colleges and San Diego Continuing Education.
The SDCCD has a long tradition of serving our nation’s military, and it currently enrolls more than 12,000 veterans, active-duty military, and military dependents. Events planned to take place leading up to and following Veterans Day – which is Nov. 11 – include:
Thursday, Nov. 3
- “Incoming: Veteran Writers on Returning Home,” a City College English Department-sponsored event from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. in MS-162. Student veterans will read their first-person accounts on returning home from active duty. San Diego City College, 1313 Park Blvd., 92101
Monday, Nov. 7
- “Exploring Vocational Opportunities.” This San Diego Continuing Education presentation offers information about classes that are eligible for VA benefits. From 11 a.m. to noon in Room 116 at the Educational Cultural Complex, 4343 Ocean View Blvd., 92113.
Tuesday, Nov. 8
- Mesa College will hold a Veterans Resource Center Open House, along with a barbeque and a Career Resources for Veterans event. The open house and barbeque is set for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the quad area by the Veterans Resource Center. The Career Resources for Veterans is set for 2 to 3 p.m. at the Veterans Resource Center. San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego, 92111.
- Job Search Workshop for Veterans. Learn tips to help you write a resume and land a job. 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Room 128 (Career Services Office) of the Educational Cultural Complex, 4343 Ocean View Blvd., 92113.
Wednesday, Nov. 9
- City College “Boots to Suits Career Workshop” from noon to 1 p.m. to assist student veterans with their career preparations. San Diego City College, M-101, 1313 Park Blvd., 92101.
- The SDCCD will honor our military veterans and all who are currently serving during a 2:30 p.m. ceremony that includes comments by Vice Chancellor Will Surbrook and a sparkling cider toast in Room 245 of the district’s administrative offices, 3375 Camino del Rio South, San Diego, 92108.
- Mesa College will hold a “Stories of Our Past” veterans panel from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in Room MC 211-A/211-B of the Mesa Commons. In addition, a special “Transfer Options for Veterans event is set for 4 to 5 p.m. at the Veterans Resource Center. San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego, 92111.
Thursday, Nov. 10
- The City College Cosmetology Department will provide free haircuts to student veterans from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room V-112 of the Career Technology Center on 16th and C streets, 92101
- City College Veterans Day Program. Sponsored by the Office of Student Affairs, this event gets under way at 10:30 a.m. in Curran Plaza. Guest speakers include Rory Wohlgemuth, Command Master Chief at Naval Base Point Loma; Navy veteran and local estate attorney Nicole Heffel; and Dr. Michael Curtis, the SDCCD’s Director of Military Education. San Diego High School’s JROTC Color Guard will also be on hand. San Diego City College, 1313 Park Blvd., 92101.
- Miramar College Veterans Day Program. The program begins at 12:30 p.m. with a posting of the colors in the Student Services Building – also known as the ‘K’ building – and a welcome by Jerry Mazur, a U.S. Marine who is President of the Miramar Student Veterans Organization. Guest speakers include Dr. Duane Short, a Miramar College business professor who served as a Naval Flight Officer, instructor, aviation operations manager, and legal officer; and Tali McLemore, a Student Services Assistant in the Transfer Center who served as a Fire Control Technician in the Navy. San Diego Miramar College, 10440 Black Mountain Road, 92126.
- Mesa College’s Transfer Center is holding a “Transfer Drop-Ins for Veterans” event from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Transfer Center I4-306. San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego, 92111.
- A Veterans Resource Workshop will provide information on resources available to veterans in the area. From noon to 1 p.m. in Room 121 of the Educational Cultural Complex, 4343 Ocean View Blvd., 92113.
Thursday, Nov. 17
- “Pitfalls to Avoid on Your Academic Journey.” City College’s Counseling Department will hold a special program to assist and support student veterans with the academic planning process. The program begins at 12:30 p.m. in M-201A.
In addition to the above events, San Diego City College’s Veterans Service Center is sponsoring a food drive to support student veterans. Throughout November, non-perishable food can be dropped off at L-106. And students can drop by a Peer Educator table in the quad between the Arts & Humanities and Business & Technology buildings from Nov. 1-10 to make a paracord survival bracelet or write a letter of gratitude to active military. On Thursdays, the table will be set up on the courtyard at the Mathematics & Social Sciences building.
Besides veterans, active-duty military and military dependents the district serves, the SDCCD Military Education Program currently serves 15,407 Army, Navy, and Marine Corps personnel in four states. It has provided specialized instruction to officers and enlisted personnel for some 37 years, with courses ranging from sophisticated communications and radar training to personal financial management and culinary arts.