Time Reporting- Classified Overtime
- Overtime is defined by FLSA as all hours worked in excess of 40 hours in any one workweek.
- The District will distribute overtime opportunity as equitably as possible.
Overtime authorization and compensation are governed by the collective bargaining agreement/handbook. Any hours worked as overtime must be reported. To provide compensation for entitled employees, standardized record keeping and time reporting must be maintained District-wide. Time worked by monthly employees is reported on an exception basis, meaning entries are made only when the employee is absent. Therefore, since actual hours worked are not reported on the timesheets, any hours worked in excess of the employee's regular schedule must be reported under the procedures described below to provide accurate record keeping and to insure proper payment to the employee.
Approval by the supervisor is required prior to any employee working hours which are beyond the regular schedule. And, an agreement between the employee and supervisor must be reached regarding how compensation will be made.
- If the employee is to be paid for the overtime, submit the hours on monthly roster/timesheet using correct overtime earnings code.
- If compensatory time is to be earned rather than payment made:
- report overtime hours worked on the monthly roster/timesheet;
- when comp time is taken, employee submits comp time request (sample form attached) through supervisor to the timekeeper. Comp time forms serve as an official document and shall be maintained at the site for a period of three (3) years.
- Reporting comp time as it is earned and later as it is used will provide accurate record keeping on the payroll system to allow monitoring of compensatory time balances.
- Overtime reporting shall coincide with regular monthly time reporting; specifically, the 16th of the previous month through the 15th of the current month.
- All overtime hours must be reported on the regular monthly time report using the following earnings codes:
RATE OF PAY EARNINGS CODE Straight Time 18 Time and One-half 15 Double Time 16 Double Time and One-half 17
- Comp time earned should be entered under proper earnings code on classified monthly timesheet. Enter comp time at 1.5 times hour(s) worked or other rate as authorized by bargaining agreement or Meet and Confer handbook.
- Comp time taken should be entered under proper earnings code on classified monthly timesheets. Enter comp time taken at 1.0 times hour(s).
RATE OF PAY EARNINGS CODE Straight time 76 Time and one-half 37 Double Time 49 Double Time and One-half 80 Comp time taken 77
- All overtime hours will be paid on the regular monthly pay day which is the last working day of each month.
- Overtime hours will be combined with regular pay resulting in one warrant.