PERS Membership Eligibility
Eligible on Date of Employment
New classified employees are members on the date of employment if they meet any of the following criteria:
- They are a member by reason of previous employment.
- Employed as a monthly employee for 20 hours or more per week.
- Employed as an hourly employee for 20 hours or more per week.
Not Eligible on Date of Employment
New classified employees who are not eligible for membership on the date of employment become eligible members only after the following:
- After working 1000 hours in a fiscal year. Membership is mandatory on the first of the month following the month in which this limit is reached. Overtime hours are included in the computation.
The following are not eligible for membership:
- Students in student positions, i.e., work study.
- Full time employees appointed for a time certain of less than 6 months.