Elected 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010
Represents District A:
La Jolla, Pacific Beach, University City, Clairemont, Mission Beach, Bay Park
- Ph.D., Guidance and Counseling, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1972
- M.Ed., Guidance and Counseling, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, 1968
- B.A., Art and Education, Marygrove College, Detroit, MI, 1964
- Professor, Department of Counseling and School Psychology, San Diego State University, 1977-present
- Director of the Community-Based Block Program held on the campus of the Educational Cultural Complex, San Diego Community College District, 1987-92; 1996-present
- Faculty Senator, member of Senate Executive Committee, 1990-93
- Chair, Affirmative Action and Outreach Advisory Council, 1988-94; Member, 1994-present
- Assistant Professor, California State University, San Bernardino, 1973-77 Chair, Counselor Education Program
- Faculty Senator Visiting Professor, University of Redlands, 1973
- Psychologist, Student Counseling Center, University of California, Riverside, 1971-73
- Elementary School Counselor, Redlands, CA 1970-71
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1969-70
- Junior High School Counselor, Royal Oak, MI, 1968-69
- Elementary School Teacher, Centerline, MI, 1964-67
Community Service/Professional Affiliations
- Elected to four-year term of office, San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees, 1990,1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010
- Board Member, San Diego Convention Center Board of Directors, 1996-present
- President, San Diego Convention Center Board of Directors, 2002
Consultant to more than 50 educational institutions and numerous community
groups and agencies, including:
- Consultant to Viewpoint Learning. Facilitated day-long dialogues with San Diego County residents on various
issues related to the future of the region. Facilitated six-hour sessions with stakeholders in the San Diego
Unified School District on the "Blueprint for Success", 2000-present
- Member, San Diego Foundation Health and Human Services Working Group, 1999-present
- San Diego County Policy Panel on Youth Access to Alcohol, 1997-present
- San Diego County Policy Panel on Youth Access to Alcohol Executive Committee, 1998-present
- Consultant, San Diego Housing Commission, 1989-91
- Trainer, numerous county departments of probation throughout California, including San Diego County, 1985-91.
- San Diego Unified School District, Southwestern College, Grossmont College, UCSD, Grossmont High School
and Sweetwater Union High School District.
- Facilitator for "The Central American Challenge," sponsored by the Carl Rogers Peace Project,
President Oscar Arias, and the University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica, 1988.
- Member, Citizens Advisory Council, ECC, San Diego Community College District.
- National Chairperson, Committee on Women of the American Personnel and Guidance Association (APGA), 1979-81.
- Chairperson, Western Region of APGA Human Rights Committee, 1978-82.
- Chairperson, California Personnel and Guidance Association Human Rights Committee, 1977-79.
- Keynote speaker at professional conventions.
- Author of articles for counseling and education publications.
- San Diego State University Outstanding Professor, 1993.
- Member, Board of Directors, LEAD, San Diego.
Maria Nieto Senour can be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org