Trustee Mary Graham reported that she attended and enjoyed “In A Word," an event benefiting the community colleges of San Diego and the public radio show A Way with Words.
Trustee Maria Nieto Senour discussed her participation in that she participated on a panel regarding the play "Blueprint to Freedom: An Ode to Bayard Rustin," at City College, and discussed the issues that arose during the civil rights movement. Trustee Senour also recognized and congratulated Dr. Julianna Barnes on her new position as the president of Cuyamaca College.
Chancellor Constance Carroll reported that a statewide workgroup has been established to review and propose modifications to a range of regulations governing the accountability and operations of California’s community colleges. Three members of the SDCCD are members of the group: Executive Vice Chancellor Bonnie Dowd (Co-chair), Chancellor Constance Carroll, and AFT Guild President Jim Mahler. Dr. Carroll indicated that fall enrollment was strong, still tracking for a 2.4% increase, and that more classes will be offered in order to capitalize on additional enrollment growth in the current year.
Student Trustee Laura Benavidez gave details on various student activities, including a collaborative suicide prevention training program involving City and Mesa colleges; a sustainability summit at Mesa College; the Associated Student Government in-house elections; a resolution writing workshop at Miramar College; and the Continuing Education César E. Chávez campus grand opening that will take place on October 28.
At its meeting of September 24, 2015, the Board of Trustees:
- Held a campus meeting at City College that included an overview and welcome by President Anthony Beebe, Academic Senate President Berta Harris, Classified Senate President Yvonne Schmeltz, and ASG President Laura Benavidez; a presentation on Deputy Sector Navigator (DSN) – Advanced Manufacturing by Dean Trudy Gerald, training participant Walt Whitney, and Professor Jack Bollinger; a presentation on DSN – Information Communication Technology/Digital Media by Dean Rose LaMuraglia, Professor Theresa Savarese, and City College alumni Terrell McClain and Ronald Clark; and a presentation on apprenticeship programs by Professor Leroy Brady and Solar Turbines Manager Ferenc Pankotai.
- Heard public comments by City College counselors Steve Schommer and Ray Wong, who spoke on behalf of the AFT Guild Local 1931 regarding outstanding issues under negotiation for the AFT Guild Local 1931 College & Continuing Education Faculty collective bargaining agreement; by City College Professors Erin Rempala and Nancy Crispen regarding issues currently in negotiations; and by Professors Theresa Gallo and Carolyn Thomas regarding campus safety and college police staffing levels.
- Reviewed the results of and approved the Board of Trustees’ self-evaluation and set goals for 2015-16. The Board members thanked all who participated in providing feedback regarding the Board’s performance and accomplishments.
- Approved an Employment Agreement for Chancellor Constance M. Carroll, extending her contract, with appreciation expressed for her effective leadership of the District. Dr. Carroll thanked the Board members for their confidence, complimented them on their own leadership, and stated that she was looking forward to her continuing role as Chancellor.
- Appointed Trustee Bernie Rhinerson as the Board's voting delegate and Trustee Mary Graham as the alternate to the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Leadership Congress in October 2015, and nominated members for election to the ACCT Board of Directors and related ACCT offices; and approved an updated Memorandum of Understanding between the San Diego Unified School District and the SDCCD formalizing its educational partnership, with comments by Vice Chancellor of Student Services Lynn Neault.
- Authorized agreements with health care agencies for use of clinical facilities by students enrolled in District health occupations programs; a one-year agreement to establish an Accelerated College Program at Mira Mesa High School between the San Diego Unified School District and Miramar College; and travel for Mesa College students and faculty to participate in two overnight field trips to Cuyamaca Rancho National Park.
- Approved new or revised courses and programs; accepted grants from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Department of Health and Human Services for Mental Health Counseling services at City College, with comments by President Anthony Beebe and Mental Health Coordinator Leslie Easton; from the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency Workforce Education and Training for the Mental Health Career Pathways Program – Public Mental Health Academy at City College; from the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of General Medical Sciences for the Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program at Mesa College; and from the U.S. Department of Education for the STAR TRiO Student Support Services Program at Mesa College.
- Authorized contracts with the U.S. Navy and sub-contracts with Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems totaling $3,386,910 to provide instructional services and training to military personnel at various facilities across the nation (Great Lakes, IL; Williamsburg, Virginia; Pensacola, FL; and San Diego, CA).
- Approved various personnel actions including the certification of short-term personnel service effective on or after September 25, 2015; and authorized the reallocation, reclassification, or removal of positions districtwide, effective July 1, 2015.
- Authorized the use of Groovy Like a Movie studio as an off-campus facility by City College; and awarded a contract to Choctaw Construction Co Inc. for accessibility revisions to parking lot 3 at City College.
- Heard a presentation on “Learning Communities: High Impact Practices to Achieve Student Success and Equity” by Vice Chancellor of Instructional Services Stephanie Bulger and Vice Chancellor of Student Services Lynn Neault.