Student veterans at San Diego Mesa College’s Veterans Resource Center.
The San Diego Community College District will honor Veterans Day throughout much of November with panel discussions, food drives, resource fairs, and more at San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar colleges and San Diego Continuing Education.
Nearly 14,000 veterans, active-duty military and military dependents are enrolled in the district. In addition, the SDCCD’s Military Education Program provides instruction for more than 7,000 service personnel at military bases in three states.
Among the planned events:
Wednesday, Nov. 1
- San Diego City College is holding a blood drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the AH/BT Plaza to honor student veterans’ service to our country.
Thursday, Nov. 2
- San Diego City College is holding a Boots to Suits workshop to assist veterans in preparing for life after the military. The workshop takes place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Room M-101.
Tuesday, Nov. 7
- City College is hosting Retired Sgt. 1st Class Greg Stube, a former Green Beret, who will deliver a motivational message about leadership and resilience from 9:30 to 11 a.m. in Room MS-162. Strube was assigned to the Army Special Forces throughout the 1990s.
- Mesa College is holding a Veterans Barbecue from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Mesa Commons Breezeway.
- Mesa College is holding a Vietnam Era Veterans Panel discussion from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Mesa Commons, MC-211A.
- Mesa College is holding a Resume Workshop from 3 to 4 p.m. in the Transfer Center, I4-306.
- Mesa College on Nov. 7, 8, and 9 will honor current and former military with a Veterans Appreciation Wall in the Student Services Building. The Veterans Appreciation Wall will afford students an opportunity to share sentiments or post photos of loved ones who have served in the military.
- Mesa College on Nov. 7, 8, and 9 will host a Flag Dedication Fundraiser that will support the ‘Veterans of Mesa Scholarship.’ Mesa’s ASG has donated 500 American lawn flags that will be available for $1 each at the Mesa Commons Gateway. Flags will be placed in the Mesa Commons Gateway grass area.
Wednesday, Nov. 8
- The SDCCD will honor military veterans and those who are serving with a ceremony from 3:30 to 4 p.m. in Conference Room 245 at the district’s headquarters, 3375 Camino Del Rio South, 92108. The agenda includes remarks from Chancellor Constance Carroll and Vice Chancellor Will Surbrook, along with a sparkling cider toast.
- Mesa College is holding a Social Media & Networking Workshop for veterans from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Transfer Center, Room I4-306.
- Mesa College is holding a relaxation tent for veterans from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Mesa Commons Breezeway.
Thursday, Nov. 9
- City College is holding its formal Veterans Day Program from 10:30 a.m. to noon in Curran Plaza.
- City College is holding a Boots to Suits workshop from 1 to 3 p.m. in Room M-101 to provide the student veteran community an opportunity to prepare for job readiness.
- Mesa College is holding a Veterans Benefits Presentation from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Veterans Resource Center.
- Mesa College will hold a “Meet San Diego Veteran Center Representatives” event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Mesa Commons Breezeway.
- Miramar College will hold its formal Veterans Day Celebration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Compass Circle with informational and interactive displays, resources for veterans, a patriotic sand sculpture, a paper jet assembly and test flight event, live blues and rock music from Jerry ‘Hot Rod’ De Mink, and more. A free deluxe dog or veggie dog will be offered to the first 100 veterans with proof of service.
- San Diego Continuing Education will honor Veterans Day with a session titled Exploring Career Training Opportunities, from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Educational Cultural Complex, 4343 Ocean View Blvd., 92113. This session will include information about certificate training programs approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- San Diego Continuing Education is holding a Veterans Resource Fair from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the foyer of the Educational Cultural Complex.
- San Diego Continuing Education is holding a workshop titled Rising to Success from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Educational Cultural Complex. Attendees can learn about Continuing Education’s services and resources available to veterans.
In addition, City College is holding a food drive throughout November at the Veteran Affairs and Veterans Service Center in Room L-106. A photographic war memorial, titled Remembering Our Fallen, will be on display throughout November on the main floor of the Learning Resource Center.
San Diego City College is at 1313 Park Blvd., 92101. Mesa College is at 7250 Mesa College Drive, 92111. Miramar College is at 10440 Black Mountain Road, 92126. All Continuing Education events will take place at the Educational Cultural Complex.