Over the weekend of Feb 23-25, 2018 the San Diego Mesa College Speech and Debate Team had a great showing at the PSCFA “Felicia Coco” Spring Championships in Long Beach, CA, opening the championship season.
The Olympians’ limited team fought hard against 33 other schools, from as far away as Michigan and Virginia. With 525 entries in a mere 11 events, the competition was stiff, making our team’s results impressive.
Results are as follows:
- Jescel Leeh Ocampo won 1st place in Novice Dramatic Interpretation
- Mariana Sanchez won 2nd Place in Junior Persuasive Speaking
- Alex Adams won 3rd place in Novice Programmed Oral Interpretation
- Caleb Christiansen won 3rd place in Junior Prose Interpretation
- Mariana Sanchez was a Finalist in Junior Prose Interpretation
- Kayta Azzam was a Finalist in Junior Impromptu Speaking
- Caleb Christiansen was a Finalist in Junior Impromptu Speaking
- Alyette Afont was a Finalist in Novice Impromptu Speaking
Assistant Professor Scott Plambek acknowledged the hard work of each speech team member that led to this wonderful achievement by sharing, “they came together, rewrote some speeches, practiced well into the evenings, and supported each other through their struggles. Our team has recognized their individual powers, making Mesa Olympians a team to look out for.”
The team will travel to compete at the International Speech Forensic Championships in Montreal, Canada the second week of March.