Navy College Program

Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership Eligibility Requirements

The Navy College Program, NCP, provides opportunities to Sailors to earn college degrees by providing academic credit for Navy training, work experience, and off-duty education. The NCP mission is to enable Sailors to obtain a college degree while on active duty. In support of the four R's- Recruiting, Readiness, Retention, and Respect, the NCP signals Navy's commitment to education by improving enlistment appeal, demonstrating Navy service and achieving a college degree are compatible, helping Sailors apply themselves to new situations and challenges and better preparing them for advancement, building up Sailors' self-image, and producing higher quality Sailors. The Navy College Program integrates all components of Voluntary Education. While the NCP is primarily geared toward enlisted Sailors, some NCP components are also available to officers.

Through the Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP), active duty Navy personnel who meet the following requirements are eligible to participate in a degree completion program with SDCC.

The State of California is divided into 72 community college districts, with more than 100 college campuses. These districts are geographical divisions which define the local service areas for each of the colleges within the state. The purpose of the district structure is to bring educational services to the local communities without costly redundancy and duplication in tax-supported course offerings. In the case of the San Diego Community College District (SDCCD, hereafter referred to as the District), the District acts as corporate headquarters; coordinating three colleges and the Adult Continuing Education, Educational Cultural Complex (ECC) serving the San Diego geographic area. The components of the District are:

The primary mission of Continuing Education is to provide:

  • Short-term vocational courses leading to employment or promotion
  • Basic skills, GED prep and High School Diploma classes
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for limited English speakers
  • Classes for persons with disabilities
  • Parent Education and Consumer Education classes
  • Other classes to enrich individuals' lives and provide lifelong learning opportunities

The District acts much like a university, in that its administrative offices offer overall coordination and services (such as payroll, human resources and facilities services) to the individual colleges within the larger university. The separate components operate and function as separate institutions. While each college is autonomous, the State of California allocates monies to the community college districts, which in turn provide central support services to the colleges. Central support operations keeps direct costs lower for the colleges, as each college has its own financial structure and must separately account for all costs of doing business.

Because we are all members of the San Diego Community College District a course taken at any one of the three colleges is accepted for credit by the other colleges in the District. If a required course or elective is not available at one school it can be taken from any of the other schools and accepted by all. Course credit transfer agreements are in place with each of the SDCCD affiliates to ensure that course credit earned is applied toward a student’s degree path.

For more information on your rating and the corresponding degree program, please view the Rating Roadmaps.


Rating Roadmaps

AS in Business Administration.

This degree path is available to all Navy Ratings.

The purpose of this degree is to obtain proficiency in Business Administration in order to both enhance a Sailor’s military proficiency and to provide the academic foundation for transfer to a bachelor’s degree program at a four-year institution. This program is designed to allow for maximum credit for military experience and to provide the quickest pathway to the Associate Degree. It will transfer into several select Bachelor of Science (BS) programs.

Rating Roadmaps identify the American Council on Education (ACE) recommended college credit for Navy training and rating-specific work experience across a Navy career in a specific rating.

Degree Roadmaps are rating-relevant degrees that make the most of recommended credit for Navy training and on-the-job experience. San Diego Community College District has partnerships with colleges and universities that offer degrees through distance education for enlisted ratings.

Mesa College has evaluated the Navy ratings and Navy courses and selected the most appropriate certificates and degrees. We have paired the ratings and courses to our degrees and have made the following recommendations. If you choose to follow a different path or degree contact a counselor and we will support you with any degree path you choose .

The Counseling Office is open Monday to Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Closed on Friday. For more information, please stop by or call 619-388-2672 or TTY 619-388-5729.


Degree Programs

A.S. in Business Administration

There are six district requirements and four general education requirements in addition to the major requirements for the associate degree at San Diego Mesa College. For each of the district and general education requirements an online course is available through Mesa, in addition to course offerings available online through the other colleges in the district. For the Business Administration major, all of the required courses can be taken online through Mesa College. If there are any courses unavailable at a particular college it will be available through one of the sister colleges. There are three other recommended electives that can be taken through one of the three sister colleges.

Course Delivery: Courses are offered asynchronously via the Internet.

Drop/add/withdrawal: Drop/add and withdrawal dates are posted to the Student Services Website:

Examinations: Exams are administered online.

Mailing address: Transcript request information Transcript Info (PDF)

Placement Examinations: Assessment information: Assessment Information (PDF)

Points of contact:

Primary Point of Contact:
Annette Ragsdale
Coordinator, Military Education Programs
San Diego Community College District
San Diego Miramar College (MCAS Miramar)
10440 Black Mountain Road
San Diego, CA 92126

Proctors: N/A

Residency: (Number of credit hours required to meet residency) A minimum of 12 semester units must be completed in residence as an officially enrolled student in the San Diego Community College District.

SOCNAV Agreements: Education Plans (SOC Agreements) are prepared by College Counselors upon student request after completion of 6 semester units through SDCCD. Transcripts, including SMART, must be received and evaluated prior to completion of the SOC Agreement.

Student Advisors: SDCCD Advisors are available on base and on campus. Counselors are available on base by appointment to meet with students.


  • Fall—16 weeks
  • Spring—16 weeks
  • Summer—8 weeks

Textbooks: Online bookstore:

Transcript Cost: The first two transcripts issued are free of charge. Thereafter, each transcript costs $5. 00.

Transcript Request Forms: Transcript information at Transcript Request Form (PDF)

Tuition and Fees: Fall 2009 Tuition and Feeds (PDF)

DEGREE OBJECTIVE— The purpose of these degrees is to obtain proficiency in the indicated discipline in order to both enhance a Sailor’s military proficiency and to provide the academic foundation for transfer to a bachelor’s degree program at a four-year institution. This program is designed for military students to allow for maximum credit for military experience and to provide the quickest pathway to the Associate Degree. It will transfer into several select Bachelor of Science (BS) programs.

ACADEMIC RESIDENCY— Students are required to take a minimum of 60 semester hours for degree completion, with a minimum of 12 semester hours (SH) taken as an enrolled student of San Diego Community College District through on site or distance education (DE).

Because we are part of a Community College District not all of the degree programs will be at the same college, it may be necessary to examine our catalog at:

Our degree program of an A.S. Business Administration is in the current school catalog.



Admission is open to anyone who meets one of the following criteria:

  • Persons who possess a high school diploma or California high school proficiency exam certification or GED with an average score of 45 or higher.
  • Persons 18 years of age or older, or emancipated minors who do not possess a high school diploma or equivalent, may be admitted by the college under provisional admissions status.
  • High school students requesting concurrent enrollment may be admitted as "special part-time" students subject to the following criteria:
    1. Students must have completed the 10th grade.
    2. A student may take a maximum of two courses not to exceed 8 units per semester or session. This maximum includes classes at City, Mesa , Miramar Colleges, and ECC (excludes High School Honors classes).
    3. High school students must satisfy prerequisites and eligibility requirements for each course.
    4. Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average each semester in all college work.
    5. If the number of units of W, I and NC exceed 40%, in any semester or session, the student will be academically disqualified. Students whose grade point average falls below a 2.0, or who do not complete 60% of all units attempted, will not be permitted to re-enroll without approval from a college counselor.
    6. Enrollment in Physical Education classes will not be permitted.
    7. The course is advanced scholastic or technical.
    8. The course is not available at the school of attendance.
    9. Students will be given college credit for all courses. Grades will be part of the student's permanent college record.
  • Persons who are under 18 years of age who do not have a high school diploma and are not enrolled in a high school may be admitted as a special full time student pursuant to Education Code §48800.5 subject to approval of the high school governing board and the college President where the student is planning to attend. Special full-time students will be admitted under provisional admission status.
  • Persons who do not meet one of the admission criteria stated above will not be admitted under any circumstances.



Apply Online

Applications for admission to San Diego City, Mesa and Miramar Colleges are available on the Internet. Students access the online application at


Registering for Class


The Registration process can be done online to minimize the cost and impact on the time required to register, as well as to eliminate the errors caused by manual registration.

Assisted Registration

This method requires the submission of an electronic form. The electronic forms are processed manually by Online Campus office staff during regular business hours, in the order they are received. For additional information visit us at:


Tuition and Fees

Community College Enrollment Fee

The enrollment fee is assessed of all students, including nonresidents. The fee is currently $26.00 per unit. (Due to changing prices please check with the enrollment offices)

  • Waiver of the enrollment fee is available to students who petition and qualify as recipients of benefits under the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program, the Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary (SSI) program, or the General Assistance program.
  • Indentured apprentices are exempt from enrollment fees for Apprenticeship Program classes only.
  • Financial Aid may be available to students who qualify for assistance.

Health Services Fee

All students are assessed a mandatory fee for health services and accident insurance, whether or not they choose to use the health services available to them. The health services fee is currently $17 per semester for spring/fall ($14 for summer session). The following students are exempt from the health fee:

  • Students who meet the income standards for the Board of Governor's Waiver (BOGW-An only).

Contact the Financial Aid Office for eligibility determination.

  • Students attending under an approved apprenticeship program.
  • Students who depend on prayer for healing, in accordance with the teachings of a bona fide religious sect, denomination, or organization, may petition to have the fees waived. To apply for an exemption contact the Admissions Office. For more information, contact the Admissions Office.

Nonresident Tuition

In addition to the enrollment fee and health fee, tuition is charged to students who are not legal residents of California for tuition purposes. The 2009-2010 non-resident tuition fee is $190.00 per unit.

Liability Insurance

Students enrolled in occupational courses that require direct clinical practice must pay a fee for liability insurance. Liability insurance fee is automatically assessed at the time of registration. The current fee is $7.00 per semester.

Additional Fees



Parking Automobile permits per semester (hanger included) $30.00
Carpool permits per semester ( Mesa only) $30.00
Motorcycle permits per semester $15.00
Transcript of Record (After two have been issued free of charge) $5.00
Loss or damage of equipment and books Cost
A.S. College Membership (per academic year) $8.00
Credit by Examination $20.00/unit
Student Representation Fee $1.00

Note: Students receiving public assistance, or who are determined eligible for financial aid, may purchase a single car permit for $20.

All fees are subject to change.

Students are expected to buy all books and supplies needed for their courses. Certain occupational programs may require additional expenditures for tools, uniforms and/or liability insurance.

Student Representation Fee: All students attending college classes are required to pay a $1.00 student representation fee. This fee is expended by the college solely for the purpose of student advocacy efforts to Federal, State and local governments. Students have the right to refuse to pay the fee for religious, moral, political or financial reasons.

Note: A $25.00 fee will be assessed for any returned checks. The Bookstore fee for returned checks is $25.00.


  1. Fees will be refunded to students who reduce their program in accordance with the following schedule:
    • Classes 1 week or shorter in duration, see Admissions for refund deadline dates.
    • Short-Term Sessions (less than 16 weeks) -Monday of second week
    • Primary Session (16 weeks or more) – Monday of third week
  2. Students who are administratively dropped when a Petition to Challenge is denied will receive a full refund of the class (es) petitioned.
  3. Students who are academically disqualified and administratively dropped will receive a full refund. No refund is given for classes dropped after the deadline. Students with a valid address on file and who do not have an outstanding financial obligation to the district will receive a refund in the mail or credit to their credit card. Refunds will be automatically sent to students after the add/drop deadline. For payments by check, there is a five week waiting period for checks to clear the bank before refunds will be processed.

NOTE: Students who drop all classes and wish to receive a refund must also submit their parking permit before the refund will be granted. If the permit is not returned within the two-week refund period, the student will not receive a refund for the permit.



ATTENTION STUDENTS before purchasing books examine the course syllabus to ensure you are acquiring the correct course materials.

San Diego Mesa College Bookstore stocks all textbooks and supplies required for classes. The Bookstore also carries study aids, snacks, school supplies, clothing, backpacks, gift items, greeting cards, emblematic items and general books.  

The Mesa College Bookstore is located at
7250 Mesa College Drive
San Diego, CA. 92111

Store Hours:
Monday to Thursday 7:45am to 5:00pm.
Friday 7:45am to 12pm.
Saturday and Sunday Closed.

For additional information or special Bookstore hours, please phone (619) 388-2715 or visit the bookstore web site


Student Services

Counseling Department

The mission of the San Diego Mesa College Counseling Department is to provide comprehensive programs and services that empower students to identify and achieve educational, career, and personal goals to meet life’s opportunities and challenges.

Academic, career, and personal counseling are provided in the Counseling Department in Room I430. Services include academic skills assessment and development of a Student Educational Plan (SEP), which outlines what courses are needed for graduation and provides a checklist for requirements completed and remaining. Students should have official transcripts from other colleges attended on file and evaluated before seeking to obtain an official SEP. Students are advised to review the catalog and schedule of classes for program and general information prior to meeting with a counselor.

The Counseling Department offers college success and career planning courses through Personal Growth listed in the schedule of classes. The Counseling Office is open Monday to Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and closed on Friday. For more information, please stop by or call (619) 388-2672 or TTY (619) 388-5729.

Transfer Services

The Transfer Center, located in Room I3-302 (2nd Floor), is dedicated to helping Mesa students successfully transfer to a four-year institution. Transferring can be a confusing process at times. The Transfer Center is here to provide information and resources to assist students in making the transition a smooth and easy one. Transfer Center resources include: workshops, transfer fairs, meetings with college representatives, campus tours, a library of catalogs and publications, information on transfer guarantees, computer software for college research, and transfer advising. For more information, please contact (619) 388-2473 or visit our web site at:

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

The English as a Second Language Program is designed to prepare students to read, write, speak and listen at a level that enables them to succeed in college courses. The program consists of four levels and the student is assigned a level based on the result of his/her placement test. Students interested in enrolling in ESOL courses should schedule an assessment test for placement into the appropriate skill level.

For more information on the English as a Second Language Program, students should contact the college Counseling Office.


Disability Support

Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS)

Mesa College provides programs and services for students with disabilities in compliance with State and Federal legislation including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Student participation in the program is voluntary.

Eligible students who have a verifiable disability qualify for support services through the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) department. The programs and services are designed to support students in the achievement of their academic and vocational goals. Specialized classes for students with disabilities are available to support the college academic and vocational programs through the DSPS, High Tech Center, and Personal Growth. Services provided include priority enrollment, readers, interpreters for deaf students, note takers and/or note taking materials, use of special equipment and adaptive devices, and specialized counseling and referral. Liaison with community agencies is also an important component of the program.

Academic accommodation such as the use of tape recorders or braillers in the classroom and the modification of test-taking procedures may be arranged. The campus is physically accessible.

Anyone interested in applying for services or obtaining further information may contact the Disability Support Programs and Services Department in H202 by calling (619) 388-2780; TTY (619) 388-2974, or email


Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is committed to assisting students who might otherwise be unable to continue their education because of financial disadvantage. Financial aid funds are administered in accordance with a nationally established policy of financial assistance for education. The basis of this policy is the belief that students and their parents have the primary responsibility for meeting educational costs. The amount of the contribution expected from students and their family is determined by careful analysis of family financial strength, taking into consideration taxable and non-taxable income, household size, allowable expenses, indebtedness, and assets. The U.S. Department of Education, in cooperation with Congress educational agencies, has established procedures which are used in making an evaluation of the amount families can be expected to contribute.



Application materials are available on January 1st for the following academic year. The priority filing date for aid is May 31st. Students filing their application by this date will be considered first in the award process.

However, applications for financial aid are accepted throughout the school year until June 30, 2009. Prospective students do not have to be accepted for admission to San Diego Mesa College to apply for financial aid. In fact, students should apply for aid as soon as the applications are available whether or not they have been admitted to the college, since the application process for federal aid can take up to 12 weeks.

All financial aid applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available and can be filed on the Internet at Those who wish to file the paper application should mail the completed form directly to the processor according to the instructions. Academic transcripts from prior colleges attended must be submitted directly to the District Records Office before processing of a financial aid application can be completed.



Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships, which are available for students who meet the qualifications. These awards are donated by individual contributors, clubs and organizations both on campus and in the community. Amounts are determined by the donors and vary. Qualifying criteria also vary and may include that the student meet financial need, a designated grade point average, a level of school or community service and/or other requirements to be eligible for consideration. Scholarship applications may be obtained from the Mesa College Office of Student Affairs, located in H-500. Phone (619) 388-2699 Hours Monday to Thursday 7:30am to 6:00pm Closed on Fridays


Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the largest federal grant program and is the foundation of a student's total “aid package.” Eligibility is determined by the Federal government using a standard formula for all applicants. Enrollment status will be frozen after the add/drop period or once the Pell Grant award has been processed. The Pell Grant will not be adjusted for additional units added or dropped during the semester.


Academic Competitiveness Grant

The Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant is a new program designed to provide additional grant money to students that have completed their state’s high school graduation requirements on or before January 1, 2005 and have completed a rigorous high school curriculum. The ACG grant is limited to the first two academic years of College. Eligible students must be US citizens, enrolled in 12 units (full-time), and be receiving Pell Grant funds at the same time. The grant amount may range from $375-$750 for first year students and from $650-$1,300 for second year students. Eligibility ends once the student has completed 48 units of college work.


Library/Learning Resources Independent Learning Center (ILC)

Need a computer to do classroom research, to write a term paper, or to access the Internet? Come to Mesa Independent Learning Center (ILC) located on the 4nd floor of the Learning Resources Center (LRC). The ILC provides Mesa students with the many instructional support services necessary to successfully complete classroom assignments. Along with a friendly, helpful staff, the ILC offers Mesa students access to computers (PCs and Macs), the Internet, printing, photocopying, and supplementary materials provided by various faculty. In addition, self-paced classes are available in Computer Business Technology (CBTE) and Math. The ILC hours are Monday-Thursday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Fridays 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed on Sundays, and during Spring Break.


SDCCD Online Learning Pathways

San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar Colleges


Learn anytime, anywhere with our convenient, flexible online courses that fit your busy schedule. Enjoy interactive communication with your classmates and instructor as you complete your coursework in an engaging, supportive learning environment. Our quality online courses are developed and taught by experienced instructors from our three colleges – City College, Mesa College, and Miramar College.

Want to get started? Find out if online learning is for you at :

Get ready for online learning success! Visit :

Online students receive 24/7 Technical Support at : or by calling toll free (866) 271-8794.

For login instructions visit


Office of Student Affairs

Located in the H-500, the Office of Student Affairs can provide guidance in certifying a club or organization, information on leadership development and scholarship opportunities. It serves as a focal point for service and leadership resources. For more information contact the Office of Student Affairs at (619) 388-2699.

There are many more services identified in the catalog or on our web sites:



  1. What degrees are available, what is the total number of credits required to complete each degree as reflected by our school catalog?

    Degree Program

    Number of credits required

    Unit of measure (SH/QTR)

    Navy Rating Match

    A.S. Business Administration



    All Ratings

  2. Will I be assigned an advisor, and will I be able to communicate with that person on a regular basis?

    Academic advising is available online. Messages can be sent via electronic mail after which a team of academic advisors will be available to respond to inquiries.

  3. Will courses from other colleges transfer into your partnership school degree plan?

    It is possible to receive credit for courses taken from other institutions. Official transcripts from colleges previously attended are required and must be evaluated for course transferability. We are a member of SOCNAV.

  4. How will classes be delivered?

    Classes will be delivered online using computers and computer peripherals. An additional format of course delivery will be telecourse plus format which includes a series of video programs as well as computer and online components. Some courses may be available on CD-ROM.

  5. Do you have study guides for the courses offered?

    Courses will include course material such as study literature. Your instructor will provide additional study materials and guides as needed.

  6. Do I have to own a computer to do distance learning?

    Yes, a multimedia computer with reliable internet access and an email account are needed for online courses. Some courses may also require other formats.

  7. Can I take CLEP and other tests for credit towards a degree?

    Yes, approved subject examinations are accepted for credit toward a degree.

  8. Can I continue my degree while at sea?

    Yes, using the Distance Learning program.

  9. How many courses can I take at a time?

    The maximum academic load is 20 credit hours of course work per semester. Students must receive permission to carry a heavier academic load.

  10. Will tuition assistance cover the costs for this type of study?

    Yes, tuition assistance is available and may cover up 100% tuition of distance learning courses. Students should contact an appropriate Navy official for more information.

  11. Does your school offer scholarships to military and family members?

    Not at this time. We are looking into such an offering for sailors and their families.

  12. How do I use my VA benefits?

    Questions regarding Tuition Assistance and other VA benefits should be directed to your Navy College Office.

  13. Does the student pay in-state or out-of state fees?

    Out-of state tuition applies. If you enlisted as a resident of California then in-state may apply.

  14. What type of Testing does Mesa accept?

    Mesa accepts specific CLEP, DANTES, ASE, APP and other tests. Official score reports must be sent directly from CLEP/DANTES to Mesa.

    The address for CLEP/DANTES is:

    The Chauncey Group International
    P.O. Box 6604
    Princeton, NJ 08541-6604
  15. Where do I send my documentation?

    The Mesa Counseling Office is open Monday to Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Closed on Friday. For more information, please stop by or call (619) 388-2672 or TTY (619) 388-5729.

  16. How much credit can I expect to receive?

    Credit awards for military experiences are based upon American Council on Education (ACE) Guide recommendations and credits will be awarded only when they apply to your degree(s).

  17. How do I know what courses to take?

    During your visit with a counselor, you will be provided a "Roadmap to Success" explaining your test scores or transfer credits that satisfy the testing requirements and the prerequisites to enroll in courses listed on the degree plan which is also completed at this time. Prerequisites for courses can be found in the Course Descriptions listed in the back of the catalog or by "right clicking" on the course name on WebAdvisor as you are looking up courses for scheduling.

  18. When do I pay my fees?

    The same day you register.

  19. Will my courses transfer to another college?

    Yes, see the current catalog Core Requirements that apply to all degree plans in SDCCD public colleges/universities. We can adjust our degree plans to meet the requirements of a university.

  20. What is academic probation/suspension?

    See Academic Policies in the current college catalog. Students who are designated in this category(s) must see a counselor to determine eligibility and to complete an agreement in which courses they will be allowed to enroll.

  21. When can I drop/withdraw from a class?

    See the Academic Calendar in the front of the current Schedule Bulletin.

  22. How can I drop/withdraw from a class?

    Veterans are required to notify the campus Veterans' Affairs Office when they stop attending class, withdraw from the college, or add or drop a class. Such changes should be reported immediately after completing the add/drop procedure through Reg-e. Failure to comply with this regulation will be grounds for de certification of Veterans' benefits and/or potential overpayment liability.

  23. I have previously been placed on a SOC degree plan. Is there a time limitation on completion?

    In most instances there is no time limit for degree completion. There is a five year limitation on most Associate of Applied Science degree plans. What this means is that due to technological advances, you may be required to repeat core courses older than five years to ensure that knowledge obtained is up to date with advances in the particular field.

  24. How do I get my GI Education Benefits started?

    Go to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the online application.

  25. How do I apply for grants/financial aid?

    Sailors should contact an appropriate Navy official concerning military funding for distance learning courses or our college Veterans Affairs Office.

    FHSU participates in most all federally sponsored aid programs.

    • * Federal Pell Grant Program
    • * Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG)
    • * Federal Perkins Loan Program
    • * Federal College Work Study Program (FCWS)
    • * Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP)
  26. Does your school offer scholarships to military and family members?

    Military personnel and family members are eligible for scholarships, as are on-campus students. For information, visit the San Diego City College scholarship page.


Related Links

Navy College Web site

Contact Us


Veterans Benefits

Credit for Military Experience


Our Work Experience program grants college credit for learning that takes place at a job or internship. Veterans may be approved for Work Experience classes when it is required for their major or electives are available according to their education plan. Students may request an evaluation of military experience by submitting to the Student Services Office the appropriate American Council on Education (ACE) documents.

Credit for educational experience will be granted in accordance with the recommendations of ACE when applicable to the student’s program of study. Total Work Experience coursework may not exceed four units per semester, four courses, or 16 total units. There is no charge for evaluation of military experience. Students may contact us at (619) 388-2776.


This section outlines the policies and procedures for awarding college credit for military experience, education, and training.

  • The designated credit evaluator at San Diego Mesa College will review the content of the appropriate documents and compare the ACE recommended credits to our courses to determine course equivalencies. In most cases, the credit recommendations on the ACE transcripts will mirror the recommendations given in ACE's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. The evaluator may choose to award more or less credit for military experience than is recommended by this guide based on the evaluation of the course content and competencies.
  • The evaluator will complete the process of awarding military credit by forwarding the information to the Student Services Office. The ACE documentation meets the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) requirements for the award of credit for military experience.
  • The evaluated Ace transcripts will be maintained in the Student Services Office.
  • Prior to credit being awarded the student must meet all entrance requirements, have a program selected, and have an education plan on file with student services.
  • To be awarded a degree from San Diego Mesa College students must complete at least 12 units of credit, for the residency requirement. Credits from other accredited institutions may be accepted for transfer credit after evaluation by district and college evaluators.
  • When all of the requirements are met the evaluation process will commence.

Information on credit available for military experience will be made available to counselors. The opportunity to receive college credit for military experience is publicized in the college catalog.

Veterans and Service Members

Veterans Center Military Service Connected Benefit Programs

The San Diego Community Colleges have been approved to offer military service connected benefit programs leading to a certificate, an Associate Degree or transfer to a four-year institution. The Veterans Affairs Office staff provides counseling and guidance to veterans and assists them in the selection of educational programs which qualify for veterans benefits. The final responsibility for monitoring the process of qualification for educational benefits resides with the individual. Each veteran must read, understand, and comply with the many rules, regulations, and procedures that influence the benefit process.

Failure to take the proper classes can result in an overpayment and the reduction or termination of benefits.

Disabled Veterans

Veterans who qualify for educational benefits as disabled veterans may be entitled to special educational benefits. Veterans should visit the Veterans Administration Regional Office, 8810 Rio San Diego Dr., San Diego, CA 92108, to determine their eligibility for disabled status. Telephone: (800) 827-1000.

Veteran Dependent Exemption

The children and spouses of U.S. veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or for a small monthly payment. For more information see the Veterans Affairs Office.


The veteran assumes full liability for any overpayment of veterans benefits. All persons receiving educational benefits must report to the colleges Veterans Affairs Office after enrollment every semester to continue their benefits. In addition, a Student Education Plan (SEP) must be on file by the end of the first semester; otherwise, certification of VA benefits will be delayed for the second semester. This plan must be developed and reviewed by a counselor. Veterans with disabilities are encouraged to pursue services offered through Disability Support Programs and Services.

Number of Units Required

For students enrolled in a degree program, the following number of units are required each semester to qualify for educational and training allowance:

12 units or more full allowance

  • 9 - 11.5 units three-fourths allowance
  • 6 - 8.5 units one-half allowance
  • 2 - 5.5 units one-quarter allowance*
  • * Chapters 32 and 1606 only.

Short-term and summer session courses are computed proportionately for payment purposes.

Withdrawal/Change of Classes

Veterans are required to notify the campus Veterans' Affairs Office when they stop attending class, withdraw from the college, or add or drop a class. Such changes should be reported immediately after completing the add/drop procedure through Reg-e. Failure to comply with this regulation will be grounds for de certification of Veterans' benefits and/or potential overpayment liability.

Veterans Academic Progress

A veteran student on Academic or Lack of Progress probation status is disqualified when his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0. The College Veterans Affairs Office is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) of this status. The DVA will terminate benefits unless it can be shown that the student is pursuing an appropriate objective and has a reasonable chance for success in the chosen program. Please contact the Veterans Affairs Office for more information.

Work Experience

Veterans may be approved for Work Experience classes only if work experience is required in their major or if they have electives available according to their education plan. Total work experience may not exceed four units per semester or a total of 16 cumulative units.


All official transcripts of prior college work and military schools, including copies of form DD214 or DD295 covering all periods of military service, must be on file in the Records Office by the end of the first semester of attendance at this college. Certification for benefits for the second semester will be withheld if transcripts are not received. Visit the Veterans Affairs Office for necessary forms.

Military Outreach

The motto of military outreach is “Serving Those Who Serve.” Military Outreach offers classes to military and civilian students on an eight week schedule. The classes offered cover a variety of topics. Some of the topics are:

  • Humanities I & II
  • History of US I & II
  • Principles of Economics I & II
  • Principles of Sociology



All official transcripts of prior college work and military schools, including copies of forms DD-214, SMART, or DD-295, covering all periods of military service, should be on file in the Student Records Office. Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits must have transcripts on file within one semester.

The online application can be found at click on Reg-e and just follow the instructions. At the end of the application there is a signature page which the student will print out, sign, and then deliver to the Student Services Office or fax to (619) 388-6946.

Students can get an official copy of their transcript by written request. This is in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, (FERPA) regulations concerning the privacy of students. Only the student or another college can ask for and receive an official transcript. Students can get two official copies of their transcripts for free. Additional copies, after the first two, will cost $5.00 each. All transcript requests will be processed within 10 working days.

View or print unofficial transcripts at the Student Web Services e-Grades site.