Apply for the Promise
San Diego Promise Application Deadline Extended to August 22, 2022 11:59pm
ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS: Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar Colleges and the San Diego College of Continuing Education have moved all instruction and operations online/remote until further notice. For COVID-19 information and online resources, please visit: sdccd.edu/coronavirus.
For information regarding the Promise Program, please contact our Outreach offices:
|City College First Year Services (FYS)||Mesa College Outreach||Miramar College Outreach|
Google Voice: 619-800-3464
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a first-time to college student*
- Must be a class of 2022 high school graduate** (H.S. Diploma or GED) OR identify with one of the following groups:
- Foster Youth Student
- Veteran of U.S. Armed Forces
- Formerly Incarcerated Student
- Undocumented Student
- Must be a California resident or AB 540 eligible
- Must Complete a 2022-2023 financial aid application (FAFSA or CA Dream Act)
- Must be prepared to enroll in a minimum of 12 units each semester (does not apply to students with disability (DSPS) accommodation on file)
*Student who completed college courses while in high school are eligible
** First time to college, class of 2020 high school graduates (H.S. Diploma or GED) maybe eligible
Program Students Receive the following benefits:
- Up to two years of free tuition and health fees
- Books grants for eligible students
- Access to Peer Mentors/Success Coach
- Individualized counseling guidance support to complete your education goals
- Attend a Promise orientation
- Sign a Promise contract
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units each semester
- Maintain a 2.0 college GPA
- Meet with a counselor each semester
- Complete a comprehensive education plan
*Students who meet the program requirements in their first year may be eligible for a second year
Students who complete steps 1-4 by June 17 for priority registration and admission to the program.
• Priority Application Deadline | June 17, 2022
• Application Deadline | August 22, 2022
• Deadline to sign a Promise Contract | August 29, 2022
• Enroll in 12 Units Deadline | September 4, 2022
Step 1: SDCCD Admissions Application
Interested students must first complete a Fall 2022 Admissions application to San Diego City, Mesa, or Miramar College at sdccd.edu/apply.
Step 2: Financial Aid Application
Complete a 2022-2023 financial aid application (FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov or the Dream Act at dream.csac.ca.gov). Students should submit a financial aid application as soon as possible using the school code for the college they will be attending in the fall.
School Codes for FAFSA or Dream Act applications:
City College: 001273
Mesa College: 001275
Miramar College: 014172
Step 3: Promise Application
Interested students must complete a Promise application for the 2021-2022 academic school year. Promise applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are due by August 15, 2022. Students must only submit one Promise application. Submitting duplicate applications may delay the processing time of their application.
Note: We will be communicating with students primarily through the email address provided on their SDCCD admissions application. In addition, all email communication will be available to be view via their message center in their mySDCCD portal. Any pending items related to their Promise application will appear on their To-Do-List in their mySDCCD portal.
How to access the message center (step-by-step tutorial).
How to view the To-Do-List items (step-by-step tutorial).
Step 4: Online New Student Orientation & Abbreviated Education Plan
Complete an online new student orientation and meet with a college counselor to develop an education plan (a roadmap to graduation) as soon as possible.
For assistance with completing the new student orientation and education plan, please visit the Counseling office website:
|College||Counseling Office Website|
|San Diego City College||sdcity.edu/students/counseling|
|San Diego Mesa College||sdmesa.edu/student-services/counseling|
|San Diego Miramar College||sdmiramar.edu/services/counseling|
Step 5: Promise Contract & Promise Orientation
Students must sign a Promise contract and attend a Promise orientation to secure their space in the program. The Deadline to sign a San Diego Promise Contract is August 29, 2022.
Information regarding the Promise contract and Promise orientation will be provided to students on a rolling basis starting May 1, 2022.
Step 6: Register for Classes
Students must register for a minimum of 12 units by September 4, 2022.
Students that do no register in a minimum of 12 units by September 4, 2022 will be dismissed from the program, with the exception of students that have DSPS accommodation on file.
For questions regarding the steps outlined above, please contact our Outreach offices:
City College Promise Office
Mesa College Outreach
Miramar College Outreach