Veterans Day events to honor those who have served
November 1, 2018 |
Veterans Day is traditionally observed on November 11, but the San Diego Community College District and San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar colleges and Continuing Education will be honoring those who have served with an array of events throughout November.
Nearly 14,000 active-duty and non-active duty military, military veterans, and military spouses and dependents are enrolled in the SDCCD. Highlighted events for the week leading up to Veterans Day include:
Monday, November 5
- Mesa College will honor those who have served with a Veterans Appreciation Wall November 5 through November 9 at the Student Services Building. The Veterans Appreciation Wall will afford students an opportunity to share sentiments or post photos of loved ones who have served in the military.
- Mesa College will host a Flag Dedication Fundraiser November 5 through November
9 to support the ‘Veterans of Mesa Scholarship.’ Mesa’s Associated Students are donating
hundreds of lawn flags that will be available for $1 each and can be placed on the
Mesa Commons entryway in memory of a loved one.
Tuesday, November 6
- City College will hold a “Taco Tuesday” Veterans Resource Fair from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Veterans Service Center (L-106). Credit repair and information about vocational services will be available, along with Wounded Warrior San Diego and admissions representatives from San Diego State University, the University of San Diego, UC San Diego, and Azusa Pacific University, and others. Free tacos for veterans, too.
- Mesa College will hold a Veterans Barbecue from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the campus’s MS Circle.
- Mesa College is sponsoring a Veteran Writers Reading event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Mesa Commons, Room 211.
- Mesa College is holding Soldiers and Students Who Salsa: Flash Mob at noon at Sunrise Plaza.
Wednesday, November 7
- Mesa College is hosting a Veterans Panel from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Mesa Commons, Room 211A.
- Mesa College is holding a Soldiers and Students Who Salsa: Flash Mob at noon in front of the LRC.
Thursday, November 8
- City College is holding a College Appreciation Day Luncheon for Veterans from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Curran Plaza.
- City College will hold its annual formal Veterans Day Program to honor veterans and active military from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in Curran Plaza.
- Miramar College is holding its Veterans Day bash from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Compass Circle with live blues and rock music, a patriotic sand sculpture, informational and interactive displays, a workout challenge and free hot dogs to the first 100 veterans with proof of service.
- Mesa College is hosting a Relaxation Tent for veterans from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mesa Commons Breezeway.
- Veterans can learn more about the services and programs available to them during a Benefits Q&A at Mesa College from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the campus Veterans Resource Center. Representatives from the San Diego Veteran Center, Wounded Warrior Project, the VA Regional Center and more will be on hand to help answer any questions.
- Mesa College is holding a Soldiers and Students Who Salsa: Flash Mob at noon at Sunrise Plaza.
- Mesa College will be holding a Transfer Application Workshop for veterans from 3 to 4 p.m. in the Veterans Resource Center, I-102.
Friday, November 9
- San Diego Continuing Education will celebrate Veterans Day with a session titled Career Training Opportunities from 10 to 11 a.m.in Room 169 of the Educational Cultural Complex. This session will include information about certificate training programs approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- San Diego Continuing Education is holding a Career Readiness for Veterans workshop from 11 a.m. to noon in Room 169 at the Educational Cultural Complex.
- San Diego Continuing Education is holding a Veterans Resource Fair in the main foyer at the Educational Cultural Complex from noon to 2 p.m.
- The SDCCD will honor military veterans and those who are currently serving with a special ceremony from 3:30 to 4 p.m. in Conference Room 245 at the District’s headquarters, 3375 Camino Del Rio South, 92108. The agenda includes remarks from Vice Chancellor Will Surbrook and a student veteran, followed by a sparkling cider toast.
In addition, City College is holding a Food Drive for Veterans throughout November to support those who may be experiencing food insecurities. Non-perishable food can be dropped off during regular office hours in M-200. A Blanket Drive for Veterans will also be held throughout November in Room M-200 during regular office hours. City College also will hold a Scholarship Workshop for Student Veterans on Wednesday, November 14, from 2 to 3 p.m. in Room M-201, and the 6th annual Student Leadership Summit for veterans and active-duty military on Friday, November 30, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
San Diego City College is at 1313 Park Blvd., 92101. Mesa College is at 7250 Mesa College Drive, 92111. Miramar College is at 10440 Black Mountain Road, 92126. San Diego Continuing Education’s Educational Cultural Complex is at 4343 Ocean View Blvd., 92113.
Related story: $400,000 in grants to bolster
services for student veterans