Student literary and art award winners named
July 7, 2022 |
Five students from the San Diego Community College District were recognized in the 2021-22 International Student Literary and Art awards hosted by the League for Innovation in the Community College.
The League’s 2021-22 International Student Literary Awards was hosted by Moraine Valley Community College and included 50 literary works from students at 14 League board colleges. The winners are as follows:
- First Place: Madison Wen-Ji Duong, Dallas College, “The MRIs”
- Second Place: Gimi Willie, San Diego Mesa College, “No One to Hear My Name"
- Third Place: Justine Alfano, Monroe Community College, “A Single Spark”
Fictional Short Story
- First Place: Sarah Wheeler, Seattle Colleges, “Motherhood"
- Second Place: Tianyu Yao, San Diego Mesa College, “Stolen Sun"
- Third Place: Persephone Pilbosian, “Armenian Baklava, Five Ways," Maricopa Community Colleges
- First Place: Bridgette Roberson, San Diego City College, “The Reprise"
- Second Place: Antonio Castellanos, Maricopa Community Colleges, “Tortilla en Boston"
- Third Place: Elysee Mushengezi, Kirkwood Community College, “Ukabila"
- First Place: Clarissa Perez, Seattle Colleges, “Golden Flesh”
- Second Place: David Oehlers, Sinclair Community College, “Meditation at a Railroad Crossing"
- Third Place: Julian Parayno-Stoll, Foothill-De Anza Community College District, “Sugarcane cavity"
The League’s 2021-22 International Student Art Awards was hosted by Dallas College and included 74 works of art from students at 16 League board colleges. The winners are as follows:
- Best in Show: Mattaia Willie, San Diego City College, “Self-Portrait With Horned Toad and Raven.”
- Second Place: Nada Bayazid, Johnson County Community College, “Veils.”
- Third Place: Melissa Wolf, Johnson County Community College, “Attachment of Power and Lasting Unity Between Entities.”
- Aistè Rye Manfredini, Seattle Central College, “I Rise.”
- Dustin Carroll, San Diego City College, “The Pursuit of Perfect Teeth.”
- Melinda Komuves, Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Each student who competed at the international level will receive a certificate of merit. Winners also receive prizes according to their placement. A catalog showcasing the student artwork and a literary anthology are being produced and will be mailed to League Board presidents/chancellors in the fall.