Termination of Probationary Classified Employees
To provide instructions for the termination of probationary classified employees who have not successfully completed the probation period.
- Education Code Section 88013 provides that only those employees who have served a prescribed probationary period, which shall not exceed one year, shall be considered permanent employees.
- The various classified bargaining agreements provide for discharge of probationary employees at the discretion of the District.
- The probationary employee should be evaluated/disciplined, if appropriate, under the provisions of the appropriate bargaining agreement and timelines.
- The immediate supervisor/manager may contact the Employee Relations Manager for assistance during the evaluation/discipline process.
- When the decision is made that the probationary employee is not performing satisfactorily, a letter recommending termination must be written to the Assistant Chancellor - Human Resources.
- The Chancellor or Assistant Chancellor - Human Resources, has been delegated the authority to accept resignations and/or terminate employees.
- The Assistant Chancellor - Human Resources, will notify the employee in writing that they are being terminated on the recommendation of the manager.
- A Personnel Assignment Status Sheet (PASS) ending the assignment must be sent to Human Resources as soon as the last work date is established.
- The site timekeeper must indicate on the next timesheet submitted that the assignment ended and the employee was terminated.