Veterans/Active Duty

Veterans/Active Duty

Thank you for serving our country! The San Diego Community College District has a longstanding commitment to serving active duty military, veterans and their families through a variety of degree and certificate programs and support services.


Veterans Affairs Office

The Veterans Affairs Office at each college provides counseling and guidance to veterans and assists in selection of educational programs that qualify for veterans educational benefits. The colleges certify more than 4,000 veterans and dependents for educational benefits each year. The colleges also have active veteran clubs and sponsor various activities such as student success workshops, lectures, resource fairs and many other activities to promote campus life for veterans and their families.

Contact the Veterans Affairs Office on campus or visit the college websites to learn about the full range of support and programs available for Veterans and Military Members.


Veterans Affairs Office
Office A-241 
Veterans & Military website

Veterans Affairs Office
Office I4-102 
Veterans & Military website
Veterans Affairs Office
Office K1-207 
Veterans & Military website


Download the Veterans Handbook here foR 2023.2024



If you are currently in the military or were discharged within the last 15 years, you may be eligible for priority registration. A military ID card or DD214 will be required for verification. Check with the Admissions Office on campus for eligibility requirements and deadlines to submit required documentation.


Veterans Office
Office A-241

Admissions Office
Office I4-102
Admissions Office
Office K1-207



Students who are active members of the armed forces of the United States who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from class may petition to have their academic record annotated with a MW symbol to exclude the withdrawal from progress probation and disqualification calculations. Students are required to provide verification of such orders. The symbol may be assigned at any time. In the event a student is unable to request a military withdrawal prior to the assignment of a final grade in class, a military withdrawal will only be assigned with approval of the instructor who assigned the original grade.

See Administrative Procedure, AP 3002.2 Class adds and Drops.



The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) offers a variety of education benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program. To find out if you qualify and what is required to receive DVA Education Benefits, contact the Veterans Affairs Office on campus.

The final responsibility for monitoring the process of qualification for educational benefits resides with the individual. Each veteran must read, understand, and comply with the many rules, regulations, and procedures that influence the benefit process.

Review the following resources for more information:

  • The Veteran's Handbook is designed to provide assistance with navigating through the community college programs and services, as well as education benefit requirements. Pick up a copy at the Veterans Affairs Office on campus or download the Veteran's Handbook to get started.
  • Visit the DVA GI Bill website to review options and requirements of the various programs, and to apply for benefits.


Veteran Dependent Exemption

Children and spouses of U.S. Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or for a small monthly payment. For more information see the Veterans Affairs Office on campus.



The Active Military Duty Certification is required for non-resident active duty military spouses and dependents who wish to request a non-resident tuition waiver. The form must be completed and certified by the Commanding Officer or Personnel Officer of the serviceman's command. Submit the completed form to the Admissions Office on campus.


  1. Download/Print the Active Military Duty Certification form

  2. Have the Commanding/Personnel officer complete the form (The command seal is required.)

Naval Base Contact: Form is to be completed and submitted to Mr. John Marshall's Office located at:
32nd Street, Naval Base Bldg.56, Room 116 
Mr. John Marshall's Office
PSD Ashore
Phone: (619) 556-6367
Hours: 6:30am to 2:00pm Monday - Friday

MCAS contact: Mr. Ron Felix’s Office located at:

Ron Felix: Student Services Technician

San Diego Miramar College
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Building 5305 "The Hub"
Phone: (858) 536-4329

Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday - Friday 

2a) If the commanding/personnel officer is unavailable to complete the form, go directly through their assigned DRC (Deployment Readiness Coordinator), who will then filter the paperwork through to the command.

2b) If no one is available in the command to complete the form, the DRC can push the paperwork up to IPAC (Installation Personnel Administration Center), where they can verify if the student is a dependent of the active duty service member and sign the paperwork accordingly.

  1. Take completed form with seal to:

City Students must submit their form via JIRA 

Miramar Students may take the form to the College Admissions Office or the base Technician:

Ron Felix: Student Services Technician

San Diego Miramar College
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Building 5305 "The Hub"
Phone: (858) 536-4329

Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday


Tuition Assistance Refund Policy

The Department of Defense has implemented a new policy requiring institutions to establish a refund policy for students using Military Tuition Assistance (TA). TA is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. This policy applies to all students receiving Military Tuition Assistance (TA) for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.

To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, the San Diego Community College District will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch.

Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion. 

Refund schedule for 16-week courses:

  • Before or during weeks 1-2 100% return
  • During weeks 3-4 75% return
  • During weeks 5-8 50% return
  • During weeks 9-10 40% return (60% of course is completed)
  • During weeks 11-16 0% return

Refund schedule for 8-week courses:

  • Before or during week 1 100% return
  • During week 2 75% return
  • During weeks 3-4 50% return
  • During week 5 40% return (60% of course is completed)
  • During weeks 6-8 0% return


Military, dependents, retirees and civilians are encouraged to enroll in convenient, short-term classes offered on base. Miramar College offers On Base Classes at MCAS Miramar. City College offers On Base Classes at MCRD and Naval Base San Diego. Check course listings in the Class Schedule for details.

Students are required to register in advance of the first class meeting (no "crashing" allowed).

Non-affiliated CIVILIAN students are required to submit to a background check in order to clear base access at MCAS Miramar and Naval Base San Diego. A driver's license, registration and proof of insurance are required. A letter with instructions will be emailed to you when you enroll in the class. Submit the appropriate form at least 3 weeks prior to the start of class to ensure you receive your access pass in time.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD)

All civilian students (non-military affiliated) who are officially enrolled in a class(es) that meets at the MCRD, are required to obtain a visitor pass from Pass & ID (Building 680, located to the right immediately before enter the base at Gate 5).  If you are currently military-affiliated (active duty, dependent, DOD employee, etc.) and already have access to MCRD, this does not affect you.

Please ensure that you obtain this visitor pass as soon as possible, but no earlier than three days prior to the start of the class.  Without it, you risk not being allowed access to MCRD.  Pass & ID's hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Once at Pass & ID, you must present a valid photo ID (driver's license, government issued ID card, passport, etc.).  If you are driving your vehicle on base, you must provide the following documents to obtain your visitor pass:

- Valid Driver's License
- Vehicle Registration
- Proof of Car Insurance

In addition, please print your class schedule to show you are a student taking class(es) on base.  You will also need to provide the Pass & ID office with the building location where you will be visiting (Building 111, Lifelong Learning Center), as well as the meeting dates and the start/end time of the class(es).  If you have specific questions for the Pass & ID office, they can be reached at 619-524-4200.

If you have questions, please call the City College MCRD office at 619-295-9974.

Access to MCAS Miramar

Review and follow the instructions for submitting the MCAS Miramar Background Check and Installation Access Application.


Access to Naval Base San Diego

Due to heightened security on the base, all non-affiliated civilians must now undergo a background check in order for the Government to grant you clearance and authority to enter the base and attend your class.  The background check will be conducted by the military.

If you do not possess a United States Government Common Access Card (CAC) or Department of Defense Form 1173 Identification and Privilege Card, you must complete a Department of the Navy Local Population ID Card/Base Access Pass Registration (SECNAV 5512/1) form.

Download and complete the Consent to Share Confidential Information for the Naval Base San Diego Background Check and Installation Access. Submit the completed and signed form to the Off-Campus Program Office at City College for processing.

If you have any questions, please contact the San Diego City College representative as NBSD at 619-233-5617.



San Diego City, Mesa and Miramar Colleges apply credit for educational experience completed during military service toward the associate degree in accordance with the associate/baccalaureate credit recommendations contained in "A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services" published by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Veteran students may be eligible for college credit to clear both the Health Education and Physical Education degree requirements upon receipt of the DD-214 and Joint Services Transcript/SMART/AARTS/CCAF transcripts.

Students must submit documentation of educational experience during military service to the Admissions Office.



Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS)

Veterans with disabilities are encouraged to pursue services through the college Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS). Among the many programs offered are academic accommodations for students with verified disabilities include extended test taking, disability management counseling, priority registration and liaison with campus offices. The colleges also provide adaptive equipment in the High Tech Center, with computer access in large print and voice output, as well as training in the use of adaptive software and hardware.

See DSPS for more details.


The Counseling Offices on campus provide academic counseling to assist you in determining your academic goal and to set up your Student Education Plan, There are also resources for learning and studying strategies, and college success workshops, See Counseling for more details.

The Career and Transfer Centers offer resources for determining a career path or for planning to transfer to a four-year institution. See Career Preparations or Transfer Center for more information.

Mental Health Services are also available. Contact the Health Services Office on campus for assistance.