Disability Rights, Responsibilities, and Academic Accommodations


San Diego Community College District (SDCCD) is committed to providing students with disabilities academic accommodations to access the same educational opportunities available to other students. Procedure AP 3105.1

  • It is the student's responsibility to provide documentation of a qualified disability to Disability Support Program and Services (DSPS) to support requests for academic accommodations.
  • It is the student's responsibility to participate in an interactive process with a DSPS Counselor to determine eligibility for accommodations and services.
  • Once the student is eligible for services, it is the student's responsibility to request accommodations in a timely manner each semester from DSPS and provide documentation of disability related accommodations to his/her instructors.
  • If the student does not have verification of a Learning Disability, it is the student's responsibility to contact DSPS to refer or initiate an assessment if needed.
  • It is the student's responsibility to participate in a careful, deliberate and interactive process with the DSPS Counselor to reach an agreement on an effective and reasonable academic accommodation.
  • It is the student's responsibility to make measurable progress toward their educational goal.

An academic accommodation:

  • Maintains the instructor's ability to measure the student's skills and aptitudes.
  • Maintains the same academic standard for all students.
  • Maintains the fundamental requirements of the educational program.
  • Promotes independence and maximum participation of the student.
  • Relates directly to the student’s educational plan or course of study.
  • Relates directly to the specific functional limitations resulting from a verified disability.


The student, classroom faculty or DSPS faculty may dispute an accommodation. If there is a dispute, the accommodation(s) originally authorized by DSPS will be provided during the problem resolution process and subsequent challenges.

STEP 1: Informal Resolution Procedure (not required)

  • An instructor who has questions or disagrees with an accommodation requested by a student with a verified disability shall promptly contact the DSPS faculty who authorized the accommodation(s).
  • A student who disagrees with the academic accommodation(s) authorized by DSPS counselor shall promptly discuss his/her concern with DSPS manager/coordinator.
  • A student who is not provided an approved DSPS reasonable accommodation by the instructor shall notify the DSPS Office promptly so that an interactive meeting is scheduled for resolution.
  • The DSPS manager/coordinator shall convene an informal meeting of appropriate representatives (i.e. student, DSPS counselor, instructor and/or discipline department chair) within 5 instructional days following the notification of the disputed accommodation(s). Every effort shall be made to resolve the matter informally.
  • A written denial of a student's requested academic accommodation will be provided by the DSPS Office with information to proceed to next steps if desired.

STEP 2: Formal Resolution Procedure - when not resolved during informal process

  • If there is no agreement with the informal resolution, the student, the instructor or the DSPS faculty may provide a written complaint to the campus compliance officer responsible for 504 matters within 10 instructional days of notification of the informal resolution. Contact information for a campus 504 Officer can be found at sdccd.edu/students/complaint-process/index.aspx
  • The compliance officer responsible for 504 matters will review the written complaint and carefully research the facts. Written notification of his/her decision will be provided to the student within 10 instructional days of receipt of the complaint. The student will be provided a written notification of the option to file a complaint under AP 3435 Discrimination and Harassment Investigations if student is not in agreement with DSPS faculty or 504 decision.


  • Students who request a course substitution or waiver should file a Petition for Modification of Graduation Requirements or a Petition for Math Substitution as an Academic Accommodation with the appropriate college committee/office/department.
  • Requests for course substitutions or waivers will be adjudicated by the appropriate committee, department or office and will include at least one DSPS faculty when the petition states the request is for an academic accommodation. The 504 officer may be included as determined by the committee chair.
  • Transfer institutions are not bound by decisions made by the San Diego Community College District regarding course substitutions or waivers. Students are responsible for contacting potential transfer institutions regarding the acceptability of prior coursework.
  • If the student does not agree with the outcome of the request they may file a complaint under AP 3435 Discrimination and Harassment Investigations.