District Governance Council
The District Governance Council (DGC) will serve as the districtwide communication, planning, and review forum on matters pertaining to major issues affecting the District.
The District Governance Council is a standing council comprised of students, faculty, and staff representatives from throughout the District. The council will meet to share information and review matters concerned with educational programs and services. The DGC shall not address matters which are negotiable (SB 160).
Specifically, the council will:
- Advise the Chancellor on the development and effects of policy implementation;
- Advise the Chancellor on matters referred to the council by the respective colleges or other college/District standing councils;
- Provide a forum for districtwide communication to ensure consistent, continuous reporting of information throughout the District; and
- Review and make recommendations on major issues, such as the annual District budget, long- range and strategic planning directions, educational and student services plans, and advocacy at the local, state, and national levels.
Responsibility and Authority
- To review and recommend items pending Board of Trustees' consideration and to advise the Chancellor relative to those matters contained therein.
- To receive information through periodic reports on major activities in progress such as development of new processes and services, policy review and development, and budget development.
c. To identify “general issues” for discussion and follow up and/or formal assignment to staff and other committees.
- The council may request appropriate college/District personnel to provide other services considered necessary to accomplish the functions and responsibilities described and assigned herein.
- The council may refer matters to the other college/District standing councils for their review and consideration.
- The council may refer matters of business back to the originating source for reconsideration and revision. In such cases, the council shall state the specific reasons for which referral is made, together with suggestions for revision, if any.
- The council shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Chancellor or his/her designee to promote effective communication and participatory governance throughout the District. The Chancellor shall provide a recording secretary to the council.
- The council shall work cooperatively with other college/District standing councils/committees and such other agencies to carry out its prescribed functions and fulfill its prescribed responsibilities.
- The council is responsible to review with the Chancellor various reports or recommendations prior to their final development and submission to the Board of Trustees.
- The Chancellor is responsible for reporting to the Board of Trustees the substance and the nature of the business transacted.
meeting agendas and materials
An agenda is on the District's BoardDocs website. In the upper, right-hand corner of the BoardDocs toolbar header, you will see a drop down menu for other committees. From this select “District Governance Council” to go to the landing page for this committee, which will allow you to view the current DGC meeting agenda and archived agendas and minutes. You may also contact the Chancellor's Office at 619-388-6957.
Reference: Procedure 0020.6.
District Governance Council
|Constance M. Carroll||Chancellor, Committee Chair||District Office|
|Paul Alexander||Academic Senate Designee||City College|
|Sanam Azai||AS President and Student Trustee||Miramar College|
|Jack Beresford||Director, Communications and Public Relations||District Office|
|Victor Bocaya||Police Officers Association Representative||District Office|
|John Bromma||Academic Senate President||College of Continuing Education|
|Taylor Carpenter||AS President and Student Trustee||Mesa College|
|Carlos Turner Cortez||President||College of Continuing Education|
|John Crocitti||Academic Senate President||Mesa College|
|Bonnie Ann Dowd||Executive Vice Chancellor, Business and Technology Services||District Office|
|Destinity Gallegos-Munoz||AS President and Student Trustee||City College|
|Neill Kovrig||Classified Senate President||College of Continuing Education|
|Charlie Lieu||Classified Senate President||Mesa College|
|P. Wesley Lundburg||President||Miramar College|
|Pamela Luster||President||Mesa College|
|Jim Mahler||AFT Guild – Faculty Representative||City College|
|Christopher Manis||Vice Chancellor, Facilities Management||District Office|
|Marie McMahon||Academic Senate Designee||Miramar College|
|Laura Murphy||Academic Senate President||Miramar College|
|Masahiro Omae||Academic Senate President||City College|
|Awana Payne||Classified Senate President||City College|
|Ricky Shabazz||President||City College|
|Danielle Short||AFT Guild – Office Technical Representative||Mesa College|
|Greg Smith||Vice Chancellor, Human Resources||District Office|
|Susan Topham||Vice Chancellor, Educational Services||District Office|
|Manuel Velez||Academic Senate President||Mesa College|
|Richard Weinroth||Academic Senate President||College of Continuing Education|
|Sean Young||Classified Senate President||Miramar College|