GE Certification

General Education is one of the key components for transferring to a four-year institution.

  • General Education (GE) Certification is an official document from SDCCD which certifies that a student, who is transferring to a four year institution, has met the requirements of a particular GE pattern.  SDCCD does not include GE certification on the official transcript.
  • A request for certification can only be submitted once a student has been accepted to a transferring university.
  • All official transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended must be on file.  Visit our Transcript Information site for instructions on how to send official transcripts to SDCCD.
  • Students with AP/IB/CLEP exams that will be used to complete requirements must have official test scores on file with SDCCD before submitting the Request for General Education Certification.  Visit our Standardized Tests site for additional information.
  • Students who are using high school coursework to satisfy the UC IGETC Certification foreign language requirement must have those high school transcripts on file before submitting the Request for Certification.  High school transcripts do not need to be official.
  • Requests require two weeks for processing, so check your transfer institution's deadline and submit your Request for General Education Certification accordingly.

IGETC Certification:
The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a general education pattern that will fulfill all lower division general education requirements at all California State University (CSU) campuses and most University of California (UC) campuses/majors. It is also accepted by some private/independent or out of state universities. 

See the College Catalog for complete details on IGETC in the TRANSFER GUIDE section, under ‘University of California and California State University Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).'

IGETC Certification Deadline:
Submit your Request for General Education Certification by the last business day in June in order to meet the UC IGETC certification timeline.

CSU GE Certification*:
Submit your Request for General Education Certification at least two weeks prior to your transfer institution's deadline.

*NOTE: GE certification is not required by the following universities:

  • San Diego State University
  • California State University, Long Beach