Maria Nieto Senour
Elected 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018
Represents District A:
University City, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Clairemont Mesa, Torrey Pines, Bay Ho.
Dr. Marìa Nieto Senour is the current President of the San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees and has served as a Board member since 1990. She represented District A, which includes University City, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Clairemont Mesa, Torrey Pines, and Bay Ho. She was the first Latina elected to a city-wide school or college board office in San Diego. A former elementary school teacher and counselor, she recently retired from the Department of Counseling and School Psychology at San Diego State University, where she directed the Community Based Block (CBB) program, which specializes in preparing counselors from diverse ethnic groups to be multicultural specialists. She is very active in the San Diego community, having served on the San Diego Convention Center board of directors, as a past Board member of LEAD, San Diego, and as a consultant to local, state, and national groups with a focus on creating community dialogues on race relations and futures planning. She received her bachelor's degree from Marygrove College in Detroit, her master's degree from the University of Toledo in Ohio and her Ph.D. from Wayne State University.
- Ph.D., Guidance and Counseling, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1972
- M.Ed., Guidance and Counseling, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, 1968
- B.A., Art and Education, Marygrove College, Detroit, MI, 1964
- Retired Professor, Department of Counseling and School Psychology, San Diego State University, 1977-2014
- Director of the Community-Based Block Program held on the campus of the Educational Cultural Complex, San Diego Community College District, 1987-92; 1996-2014
- Faculty Senator, member of Senate Executive Committee, 1990-93
- Chair, Affirmative Action and Outreach Advisory Council, 1988-94; Member, 1994-2014
- Assistant Professor, California State University, San Bernardino, 1973-77 Chair, Counselor Education Program
- Faculty Senator Visiting Professor, University of Redlands, 1973
- Psychologist, Student Counseling Center, University of California, Riverside, 1971-73
- Elementary School Counselor, Redlands, CA 1970-71
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1969-70
- Junior High School Counselor, Royal Oak, MI, 1968-69
- Elementary School Teacher, Centerline, MI, 1964-67
- Elected to four-year term of office, San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees, 1990,1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014
- Board Member, San Diego Convention Center Board of Directors, 1996-2014
- President, San Diego Convention Center Board of Directors, 2002
Community Service/Professional Affiliations
- Member, California LIbrary Services Board, 2018-present (appointed by Senate Pro Tempore Toni Atkins)
- Member, Community Review Board on Police Practices, 2013-present
- Consultant to Viewpoint Learning. Facilitated day-long dialogues with San Diego County residents on various issues related to the future of the region. Facilitated six-hour sessions with stakeholders in the San Diego Unified School District on the "Blueprint for Success", 2000-present
- Member, San Diego Foundation Health and Human Services Working Group, 2001-05
- San Diego County Policy Panel on Youth Access to Alcohol, 1997-present
- San Diego County Policy Panel on Youth Access to Alcohol Executive Committee, 1998-present
- Consultant, San Diego Housing Commission, 1989-91
- Trainer, numerous county departments of probation throughout California, including San Diego County, 1985-91.
Consultant to more than 50 educational institutions and numerous community groups and agencies, including:
- San Diego Unified School District, Southwestern College, Grossmont College, UCSD, Grossmont High School and Sweetwater Union High School District.
- Facilitator for "The Central American Challenge," sponsored by the Carl Rogers Peace Project, President Oscar Arias, and the University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica, 1988.
- Member, Citizens Advisory Council, ECC, San Diego Community College District.
- National Chairperson, Committee on Women of the American Personnel and Guidance Association (APGA), 1979-81.
- Chairperson, Western Region of APGA Human Rights Committee, 1978-82.
- Chairperson, California Personnel and Guidance Association Human Rights Committee, 1977-79.
- Keynote speaker at professional conventions.
- Author of articles for counseling and education publications.
- San Diego State University Outstanding Professor, 1993.
- Member, Board of Directors, LEAD, San Diego.
Maria Nieto Senour can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com