Academic Accommodations for High School Students Enrolled in College Courses

What are academic accommodations?

Academic accommodations authorized by Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) are designed to enable students to participate in general activities, programs and classes offered by the college. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis with a DSPS Counselor.

What types of accommodations might be provided?

Examples include, but are not limited to: extra time on tests and quizzes, use of assistive technology, breaks as needed, ability to record lectures, interpreting services, and alternate media.

How do I apply for services?

Application material is available below, through your College Liaison or online at the college DSPS websites.

  1. Complete the DSPS Application for Services, to the best of your ability.
  2. Verification of Disability can be provided using one of the following
    1. Most recent School District documentation (IEP or 504 Plan);
    2. Documentation from your Medical Provider or Clinician; or
    3. Completed and signed DSPS Verification of Disability Form.

The DSPS Application for Services and Verification of Disability need to be provided to the DSPS office at the college campus you are enrolled. The Application and Verification of Disability may be submitted via email, mail or in person. College DSPS contact information is provided at the bottom of this page.

What happens after I submit my application material?

Once all of your application material is received and reviewed, the DSPS office will contact you to schedule an intake appointment.

  • For students enrolled in courses meeting on your high school campus, DSPS will offer to coordinate the intake appointment at your high school site.
  • For students enrolled in courses meeting on the college campus, your intake appointment will take place at the college DSPS office.

I have an IEP or 504 plan. Will I be authorized for the same accommodations I receive in my high school classes?

It depends upon what the requested or recommended accommodations might be. How you request, use, and schedule accommodations will probably be different and need to be discussed with a DSPS Counselor during your intake appointment. Many accommodations such as receiving extended time on a test require students to schedule their request in advance, or it may not be provided. Students should apply for services as early as possible, as accommodations can require time to coordinate. More information regarding some differences with accommodations between high school and postsecondary institutions/colleges can be found on page 5 within Catching the Wave From High School to College: A Guide to Transition and/or at the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights page:

College DSPS Contact Information


Room A-122, 1313 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 388-3513 | 


Room 14-405, 7250 Mesa College Drive, San Diego, CA 92111

(619) 388-2780 | |


Room K1-204, 10440 Black Mountain Road, San Diego, CA 92126

(619) 388-7312 | |